Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has banned the conversion of parks, gardens and designated green areas in Abuja into commercial car dealership lots.
The Minister of the FCT, Nyesom Wike, issued the directive as part of measures to tackle worsening flooding and protect the capital’s urban drainage and environmental systems.
The FCTA said the unauthorised conversion of green spaces and recreational areas had reduced natural water absorption zones and contributed to drainage challenges across the city.
The Minister’s Senior Special Assistant on Public Communications and Social Media, Lere Olayinka, disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday, August 19, in Abuja.
According to him, some protected areas, including Millennium Park, had been used for vehicle displays and other commercial activities without approval from the FCT Administration.
Wike has consequently directed the immediate clearance of illegal car lots from affected locations.
The administration has also established a Task Force to identify and monitor the affected areas and enforce compliance with the directive.
In addition, the minister ordered an administrative investigation into officials suspected of issuing approvals for the unauthorised commercial use of parks and other protected spaces.
Following the directive, the FCT Head of Service, Nancy Sabanti Nathan, summoned the directors of Parks and Recreation, Environmental Protection, Traffic Management and Urban Affairs to explain the breach of existing urban planning regulations.
The FCTA said the measures were necessary to preserve Abuja’s green spaces improve environmental management and prevent further disruption of the city’s drainage system.

