Nigerian Army troops on patrol
Nigerian Army troops under Operation HADIN KAI (OPHK) successfully repelled a large-scale assault by Islamic State – West Africa Province (ISWAP) militants on Sept. 18, securing Banki in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State and Bula in Yobe.
A senior military source at Army Headquarters told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that over 10,000 households recently resettled in the region were protected from renewed displacement.
The coordinated attack by ISWAP was reportedly aimed at destabilizing the fragile peace and overrunning local communities.
However, soldiers on the ground, reinforced by precision air support, mounted a strong defense that forced the insurgents into retreat, suffering significant losses in both personnel and equipment.
“In Banki, reinforced troops stood firm to protect women, children, and the elderly,” the source stated. “In Bula Yobe, soldiers displayed tactical discipline that foiled repeated enemy attempts to breach security positions.”
The military also ensured the safety of farmers who had returned to resume agricultural activities after years of displacement.
During an operational visit on Sept. 19, Brigadier General Ugochukwu Unachukwu, Acting General Officer Commanding (GOC) 7 Division and Commander Sector 1 OPHK, commended the troops for their courage and sacrifice.
“The GOC confirmed that the terrorists had been dealt a decisive blow,” the source noted.
“He assured residents and humanitarian agencies that the Nigerian Army remains resolute in its mandate to protect civilians and secure the recovery of conflict-affected communities.”
Responding to media reports suggesting that a military base had been overrun, the source dismissed such claims as false.
“No army position was captured, and all affected communities remain firmly under control,” he clarified.
Sadly, one soldier lost his life and several others sustained injuries during the operation. Their bravery, the source said, reflects the Army’s commitment to restoring peace and dignity to communities emerging from years of insurgency.
He also emphasized that operations would continue under the direction of Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Olufemi Oluyede, as part of a joint, multi-agency strategy.
“Nigerians owe the injured gallant troops and fallen heroes a debt of gratitude for keeping hope alive in communities rising from the ashes of war,” he added. (NAN)

