President Buhari
President Muhammadu Buhari will address the nation by 7pm, Femi
Adesina, Special Adviser to the President on Media & Publicity said.
In his statement Femi said: “Following detailed briefing by security
chiefs on the current situation in the country, President Muhammadu
Buhari will make a national broadcast Thursday, October 22, 2020 at
7pm. “Television, radio and other electronic media outlets are
enjoined to hook up to the network services of the Nigerian Television
Authority (NTA) and Radio Nigeria respectively for the broadcast.”
Earlier, the President has warned the security agencies to operate
within the confines of the law and not to do anything that will
aggravate the ongoing protest against police brutality.
President Buhari is also expected to announce a critical solution to
the ENDSARS protest in a couple of hours.
This is as the security agencies have been asked to apply to restrain
in handling the protesters and the protesting youths also advised not
to push their luck too far so as to avoid unwanted situations.
The National Security Adviser, NSA, Major General Babagana Monguno
(retd), disclosed this while briefing State House correspondents at
the end of the National Security Council meeting presided over by
President Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The NSA said that in a couple of hours President Buhari will come up
with something that would be agreeable to the entire country
According to him, “This situation, we all know is very very grave
situation, giving a lot of concern to everyone most especially Mr.
President. “Mr. President has directed that the government should do
whatever is necessary in order to bring about an agreeable resolution
to this crisis.
“So far, the government has been able to concede to the demands of the
protesters. The initial demands have been considered and it appears
now that the riots are taking a different and unwanted dimension. And
Mr. President is very concerned about this development and does not
want a situation in which everything breaks down and results in
anarchy, in lawlessness, and people taking the law into their own
hands.
“For one thing, if the government can begin to make concessions, then
it’s also logical for the protesters, those that are aggrieved also to
take a step back, take stock of their activities and come to a meeting
point with government and its agencies.
“It is not Mr. President’s desire to see any unwanted loss of lives
and he is determined to ensure that things do not cascade into
unpleasant situations. “Therefore, he has directed all the security
agencies to operate within the confines of legitimacy, the confines of
legality, not to do anything that will aggravate the situation.” The
NSA said that President Buhari in no distant time takes some critical
decisions that would be agreeable to the entire country. He said, “The
President himself, I have just left his office, is also going to deal
with these issues in a specific manner apart from what has just taken
place in the council. I believe in the next couple of hours Mr.
President will come up with certain solutions that will be agreeable
to the entire federation. “Again, I have spoken with my colleagues in
security, to also understand that these situations also require
non-kinetic efforts which we are also working on, to appease who are
aggrieved and there is no need to take this thing further. “But it is
extremely important for the youths to understand that, if the
atmosphere is not conducive for dialogue and understanding, we can’t
have any peaceful resolution. “The security agencies have been asked
to apply as much restraint as possible. But then again, the youths
should also understand that pushing their luck might also result in
unwanted issues. So, it is very very important for everyone to take
stock of what has already happened and not give a dark impression of
this country to the international community.” Asked what the agreeable
resolution will be, the NSA said: “Mr. President is going to look at
each issue on its merit before coming up with the solution as the
chief security officer of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.“ Also asked
if the president was going to address the nation as requested by the
National Assembly, Monguno said: “I can’t actually divulge what was
said but let’s just wait for Mr. President.”
Fielding question on whether the investigation was going to be
carried out on the movement of troops to attack peaceful protesters at
Lekki Toll Gate, the NSA said: “The government is looking into the
incident that happened about 48 hours ago. You know, we can’t deal or
act on conjectures, oppositions, and so on and so forth.
“We need to verify things first. But the government is not oblivious
of the fact that certain things had happened and there is also a
possibility that actual facts could be distorted by either party.
“So, the government is going to look at that before coming up with
something. But definitely, the government is not treating this issue
lightly.”
In attendance at the security meeting were Vice President, Yemi
Osinbajo, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss
Mustapha, Chief of Staff to the President, Professor Ibrahim Gambari,
and the National Security Adviser, Major General Babagana Monguno
(retd). Others were the Service Chiefs led by the Chief of Defence
Staff, General Gabriel Olonisakin, the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant
General Tukur Buratai, Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ibok Ekwe
Ibas, and the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar. Also
present were the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, Director
General of National, Department of State Services, Yusuf Bichi,
Director General, National Intelligence Agency, Ahmed Rufa’i, and the
Directorate of Military Intelligence. Ministers in attendance included
those of Defence, Bashir Magashi, Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, Police
Affairs, Mohammad Dingyadi, and Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama

