Federal University of Agriculture in Makurdi ( FUAM), Benue State
By JOHN ONAH, Abuja
Controversy seemed to have trail the alleged abduction of some students of the Federal University of Agriculture in Makurdi ( FUAM), Benue State
It was reported that gunmen have abducted some unconfirmed number of students of the Federal University of Agriculture in Makurdi (FUAM) in Benue State.
However, a source close to the university told NATIONAL AÇCORD that the institution is yet to identify any missing students.
The source also disclosed at the time of filing this report neither the parents nor any close relations of the alleged missing student had reported any case of missing child.
The school authorities had earlier confirmed the incident, saying an unspecified number of students were taken away at gunpoint on Sunday night.
The Director of Information, Protocol and Public Relations Unit (IPPR), Mrs Rosemary Waku, made the disclosure on Monday.
“An unconfirmed number of students of FUAM were abducted at gunpoint by unknown persons from the Campus on Sunday 25th April 2021.
“The University has reported the incident to the police and all relevant security agencies.
“The University has not heard anything from the students or their captors since the unfortunate incident took place.”
The development comes less than a week after students of Greenfield University, Kaduna, were also abducted on campus.
Less than 72 hours after their abduction, three of the students were found dead.
Three students of the Federal University of Agriculture in Makurdi (FUAM) in Benue State were on Sunday abducted by gunmen in the school premises.
The school authorities on Monday disclosed that unconfirmed number of students of the institution were abducted and taken away at gunpoint.
Director of Information, Protocol and Public Relations Unit (IPPR), Mrs Rosemary Waku, made the disclosure in a statement.
“The University has reported the incident to the police and all relevant security agencies. The University has not heard anything from the students or their captors since the unfortunate incident took place.”
Also confirming the incident, the Benue State Police Command disclosed that the university reported to the police that three students were abducted from the school, close to a lecture theatre, and taken to an unknown destination.
According to the Public Relation Officer of the command, DSP Sewuese Anene, the police have opened investigation into the incident.
She disclosed that the police will do everything to ensure the safety of those abducted while advising parents and authorities of the school to remain calm and cooperate with the police to find the whereabouts of the students.
The Vice Chancellor of the University Professor Richard Kimbir also confirmed the abduction but disclosed that two student were missing.
He said a management meeting of the school had been called to find out the actual number of students missing.
The university on Saturday held its combined 23rd to 25th convocation ceremony.

